Sunday, May 25, 2008

Thing 16

I went on to the Library Success Wiki and found it interesting that the first words that greeted me were “Update! Because of vandalism problems, e-mail confirmation is now required.” I found that sad, who would want to vandalize a library Wiki?

I like the lay-out, in the Community Section along with a list of Wiki users, there is a Tip page which can be useful to first time Wiki writers and a guide line for Wiki etiquette. Other sections are Management & Leadership, Selling Your Library and the one that interested me the most-Reference Service. Library Success looks very interesting, and I will be spending more time on this website.

It was interesting reading OCL’s entry in Wikipedia. Although I like using Wikipedia for fun topics like how many times was Rod Stewart married and what were the names of his wives. I have to admit that I never paid attention to the discussion or history tabs.

Wikis are can be very useful, informative and fun. I can see where people with similar interest would enjoy use Wikis to communicating with each other. I have used Wikis for class projects and most of the time it has been useful. But as we saw with Library Success how vulnerable a Wiki can be.

No comments: